Here’s another recipe to help you avoid eating out more than you want (or can afford). I actually love this beef and broccoli recipe more than the one at my favorite Chinese restaurant. And my kids even like it and eat it! (And by eat it I mean they all three eat the meat, two of them eat the broccoli, and only one of them eats the rice if I make that instead of noodles). 😉 Can’t win them all….
The other bonus is that this is ready SO quickly, it can easily replace the takeout you usually get on busy week nights. Just plan ahead for those busy nights and have the ingredients for this recipe on hand. The beef and broccoli is seriously done in under 15 minutes, but making rice or noodles may make it take a few more.
Crispy Beef and Broccoli
Total Time: 30 minutes
Rice or noodles (your choice- I like jasmine rice or lo mein noodles)
1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. cornstarch
Ground black pepper
1 lb. beef top sirloin or flank steak, thinly sliced into strips
3 Tbsp. oyster sauce
2 tsp. water
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 lbs. broccoli florets
1 Tbsp. canola oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
- Cook rice or noodles according to package directions.
- In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, cornstarch and pepper. Add the beef and let marinate for 10 minutes at room temperature.
- In a small bowl, using a fork, mix together the oyster sauce, water and balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
- In a wok (or large, deep skillet), add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Add broccoli and cover to cook for 3 minutes. Remove broccoli and pat it dry. (You can skip this step if you buy steam-in-the-bag broccoli!)
- Discard water in the pan and let it dry. Place over high heat and when hot, add the canola oil and swirl to coat. Add the garlic and fry for 15 to 30 seconds, until fragrant. Toss in the steak strips, keeping them in one layer, and fry for 30 seconds. Flip the strips and cook the other side for 1 to 2 minutes more or until done.
- Pour in the oyster sauce mixture and stir to combine. Add the cooked broccoli back into the pan and toss to coat well.
- Serve over your rice or noodles and enjoy!