Today I’m going to walk you through how to declutter and reorganize your linen closet. Depending on your home, you may have a linen closet that doubles as cleaning/laundry storage or one that doubles as a cabinet for toiletries and medicine. My house has the latter, but I will do my best to show you how to reorganize your space.
Keeping your linen closet organized will help you to have clean sheets and towels ready at a moment’s notice. That way, when your kid wets the bed 😛 or you have company coming over, you will be prepared.
Here’s what you need to do to declutter your linen closet down to the bare essentials:
- Remove and put away any items belonging in other rooms.
- Keep only two sets of sheets per bed (the one on the bed and one spare set). Throw away any sheets that have seen better days! Fold the sheets you are keeping and store them inside a pillowcase.
- Keep only two sets of towels per person (two bath towels and two hand towels). Again, throw out any towels that are worn. Fold the towels and stack together with their sets.
- Throw away any cleaning supplies, toiletries, or medicine that are expired. In fact, throw away any cleaning supplies, toiletries, or medicine that you never use!
- Sort any cleaning supplies, toiletries, or medicine you are keeping by putting them with similar items. Consider a bin or basket for larger items and Ziploc bags for smaller items.
- Neatly stack any toilet paper, paper towels or facial tissue.
- Put items that you access frequently towards the front of the closet and on shelves that are easy to reach. If there are items that are stored here that aren’t needed on a daily basis, put these items towards the back or on higher shelves.
Now that you’ve removed what isn’t necessary in your linen closet and reorganized the items that are essential, it’s time to assess the space. Do you have enough space for what would ideally fit in your linen closet? If not, what changes could you make to create more space? You could install shelves or buy bins that stack on top of each other.
In my space, I need shelving. I have two large cabinets with NO shelves, and a smaller cabinet. Again, with no shelves. This makes for a lot of wasted space! Just like the rest of our house, we moved in so quickly last December that the linen closet was pretty much just where I dumped our sheets, towels, and toiletries. Now I will FINALLY be taking the time to organize our closet the way I like it, and I am so excited!
Stay tuned for the reorganization of my linen closet with embarrassing before and after photos! 😉